I'm Still Standing...

As Aaliyah sang at 15, "Age ain't nothing but a number" and while three years have flown by and much has changed since last I posted - I am still standing (sure another song reference).  This proved to be a marvelous theme song for this summer getting the youngest out of 8th grade and into high school and the oldest into a better collegiate fit, back here in CO.  And it is a particularly enjoyable theme for the year after watching Rocketman during 8th Grade "graduation" celebration with the Daniel contingent out from the Carolinas with the graduate.  He was both entertained and humored by his father and aunt belting out that and other songs with the movie.

So now it is almost the 10th month and I am here - finding many things that engage, energize and expend my efforts and energy all at the same time.  I have a new house to occupy my tinkering talents both as handyman and gardener.  Last year I was part of the committee to review and revise the Colorado State Standards for the Social Studies. I am an association rep  (read union)  LEA for my school - finding numerous items needing attention for the betterment of teachers.  I have rotated back into teaching IB classes in my school, Littleton High School even as I extend my work with the IB nationally as a workshop leader for Global Politics, Theory of Knowledge and as a site visit team member - helping schools across the country develop their IB programs.  I have also recently completed a year long stint with the Qatar Foundation International teacher leader fellowship program with another two dozen teachers from across the country and will be presenting to the National Council for Social Studies (NCSS) in November in Austin.  I also had the pleasure to sit on the Middle East Outreach Council's  (MEOC) Young Adult Book Award Committee this summer.  Am participating with the National Collegiate Honors Council's (NCHC) Monograph committee for a reflection of the lasting influence of the special semesters with other alumni from the various programs there. I still coach soccer for both the Boys and Girls teams at school and the boys are off to their best start since I started working with that program.  I find a restorative joyousness to be a volunteer at a local pay it forward restaurant, Cafe 180.  And am building my own business with WealthWave and World Financial Group as a financial literacy advisor and coach for teachers to help them better secure their future and hopefully be able to stay in the classroom.

All that is to say, that at 54 I have found - begun to hear more clearly - my voice in a variety of  endeavors, interests and engagements all within the frame of being a parent and educator.  And while I think my students would check me with accusations of a humble brag or my favorite charged phrase of "flexing" - I think what I hope is that if any of this interests you as a reader, acquaintance, friend, family member, whomever, you would reach out and ask about doing any of these - they really mean nothing to me if they do not intrigue, inspire, engage, and ultimately help make me a better person / teacher by being able to share.  So please, reach out if you happen upon this and say hello, ask for contact info for any of these groups I work with these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgement Day

World Teacher Day 2019 - Food for thought